Rockwall County 4-H Events and Activities

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Documenting Your Time You Invest in 4-H Projects



Dear families with Livestock Projects, each year families spend numerous hours working with 4-H livestock projects, but much of what is seen is only the exhibition time in the show ring.  On lookers, potential 4-Hers, and the general public have no clue how much work it takes.  So I need your help.  I need each 4-Her to keep a log of the hours spent on their livestock projects.  An easy way to do this is to put a clip board up at your stall.  It doesn't matter if you are located at the Ag barn, or at your own barn, recording your hours of work will help you know just how much time you spend with your project.

After the Rockwall Youth Fair, I will ask each of you to turn in those hours.  I will compile that information and be able to use that to help others understand just how much time and dedication it takes to have a successful project.  It will also help me gage  your progress as I or a 4-H Livestock Mentor stop by from time to time. 

Hours recorded should be the 4-Her's time and not a brother or sister, mom or dad.  I realize this is important as a family but I just need the 4-Her responsible for the project to keep their hours.  This includes time cleaning pens, feeding, grooming, clipping, vet visits, learning subject matter, showmanship practices, etc.

This will also help you with records that are required by the Rockwall Youth Fair.

Time is precious.  I know you spend a lot of time with your projects.  Help me tell your story and the hours your spend with your project.  Document your time.